Saturday, January 21, 2012

Finding my Inspiration

 Tonight as I danced around the driveway with Mehto, our security guard, I was reminded that there is much joy to be experienced in the midst of my chaotic workload. In the early dawn of the mornings, I escape to the balcony of the guest house, where I can take in the panoramic scenery of Port-au-Prince, and the many mountains in the distance. Lately the roosters in the lot across the street have remained quiet, so it is just by routine, and the consistent honking of cars next-door that awake me at 6 am everyday.

 As we are planning a conference to gather NGOs and Haitian Business Owners on the 26th of January, as well as putting out monthly newsletters and developing a website to be launched early January (which i have been named Project Manager of!), I find that "Haitian time" does not apply. We have limited resources for staffing, and Daniel is a fan of "squeezing out the most" from the unpaid intern, so my days are quite full.

 Last week, however, we had 2 mentors visit and plan to travel 4 hours north to the small town of Pignon. Since no other Partners Worldwide staff member other than Oscar would be attending to the meeting of our newest Local Business Affiliate, I was recruited to join the group! Travelling into the field is by far my favorite task, as it allows me to really connect with the entrepreneurs in Haiti we are working so hard to improve their communities and connect with.

Thankful for all God's Gifts!
 Tuesday morning we departed in a rented luxury SUV. The discussion was intense from the get-go, as Terry and Bob from the Vermeer Foundation and Global Business Affiliate were quick to query Oscar and my personal relationships with Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. It really brought me back the reality that my work is entirely based on the will of God, and I was prepared for the trip based on that introductory conversation.

Meeting with the Mayor of Thomonde
 After a 2 hour drive across the beautiful mountains and countryside of Haiti, we arrived in Thomonde, where Bob and Terry would be discussing with the Mayor the possibility of utilizing their new earth-block-creating-machine to conduct an $18M project of town development, agreed upon by President Martelly himself. I spent much time surveying the plans, taking pictures and attempting small-talk with the mayor in Creole, while Bob and Terry were encouraged to provide a written proposal of the new equipment, that would create a tremendous amount of jobs in the process.

 We departed for the last 2 hours of the trip that afternoon, and were met with a very rough road after the town of Hinche. Literally it is a dirt road that has been shaped by the rough cracks and bumps of weathering, so there was no comfort in our commute. Yet we began to see the way of life in the central valley, where donkeys can be purchased for a bargain $50 to handle the need for transportation and logistics. We saw school children walking along the beaten path, and I admire them as I realize they are those who literally walk 15 miles to and from school everyday.
Meeting with Sanon
 We met with Sanon Etienne that afternoon, the leader of the new LBA, and although he is just about my age, his accomplishments are comparable to Donald Trump in local standards. As we met with most of the business people on our agenda, all were keen on referring to him as "the man!" He operates a concrete-block production facility next to a river, where he pays women to collect piles of sand from the river, and employs at least 6-7 men to operate the vibrating block machine. I have since come to learn that Sanon is also a known civic engineer, university professor, sub-contractor for a huge church-campus project, and serves as the principal at his sister's primary school in town. Bob and Terry are working to provide him with a new clay-block producing machine, and the size of his workforce and demand for product will grow exponentially!

Squeezing out the Sweet Stuff at a
Sugar Cane Processor
  We continued on with our schedule, and found that many of the business owners were actually Distillerie-proprietors. This is not something that Partners Worldwide condones, so I was glad to realize that they actually operated other business as well....machine welding, sugar cane processing, and  construction materials. We also met with the memorable George, who turned 2 1/2 acres of bare forestry into a "garden", where he is growing lemon trees, passion fruit, pineapples, ginseng, papaya, and other beautiful products that he tends to with loving care. Before we departed, he loaded our trunk with buckets full of passionfruit, that we have been enjoying as juice for the last few days. In addition our gifts from George, I was also gifted with freshly-made peanut butter, an overgrown pumpkin (perfect for the Haitian January 1 tradition of Pumpkin soup!), sweet sugar cane for nibbling, and hand-drawn postcards.
Farmer George Prays for Rain
 Although these businesses are small in comparison to the corporate standards of the U.S., one of the things I learned during orientation for Partners Worldwide is to never doubt the potential of the lowly. "Don't doubt in the face of God" has been a great lesson throughout my experience. I'm eager to follow up on the progress of our emerging affiliate in Pignon, and rejoice in the news of the promise of improved infrastructure throughout the town, as a major roadway will soon be constructed, bringing the promise of commerce along with it.
 As of 2012, my workload has begun to pile on faster than I can seem to keep my head above, but I still find those moments of tranquility in the environment. Success is earned quickly as tasks are carried out, and already I can see the fruits of my labor as people are being connected. Pray for my sanity and peace of mind during this time when I wonder how everything will get done. Yet will there's a will, there's a way and nothing is impossible with God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment