Monday, December 19, 2011

Holidays in Haiti

 I'm absolutely thankful that despite living in a foreign country, I've been raised on tradition enough to find comfort in the holidays with good friends. Thanksgiving came one month after I'd been living in Haiti, and my boss, Daniel, had a good american friend, Allison, who was also keen on bringing the tradition of giving Thanks at Trinity Guest House.
 I was told she had invited 13 friends, and at the time, we had no utensils, cooking equipment, or even salt and pepper in the cabinets. So the Wednesday before, Daniel, Emma and I met with our new resident cook, Babbem, to go shopping for culinary necessities. There is a great store in Petionville, similar to Bed, Bath and Beyond in Haitian standards, where we found all the needed supplies. Next we made our way to the supermarket, where a 13 lb. frozen turkey can be found at a bargain price of $50! Since I am still uncertain how to manage the street markets, Allison took that challenge on, and showed up to the guesthouse that night with fresh pumpkin, haitian sweet potatoes, a pie crust, and many other fresh vegetables.

 The next day I felt somewhat guilty as my Haitian colleagues spent the day working, while I played the "American Holiday" card, and spent the day slaving away in the kitchen with Allison, and her friend Barbara. After mashing potatoes using a mortar and pestle, sweet potato casserole with a blender and freshly-grated coconut, stuffing from actual sliced bread, canned cranberry sauce flown over by American friends, and pumpkin pie boiled and completely made from scratch, (accompanied with a full case of cold Prestige beer) somehow we pulled off just enough food for 15 people- Haitian, Canadian and American alike. 
 Since my culinary skills were brought to light for that meal, I'm often found in the kitchen, making American breakfast and the occasional dinner for those staying at the guesthouse. Otherwise I'm treated daily to amazing Haitian cuisine provided by Babbem... Goat quite frequently, Creole Chicken often, Fried plantains, rice and beans every day, and never once have I had to worry about food sanitation and digestive illness (fingers crossed...you can never be too sure no matter what country you're in!) As a matter of fact, I may need to add a "new-larger-size clothing" line into my budget, as I've never been fed so well!
 Christmas is somewhat different. Without the constant hum of familiar carols, lack of cold-weather, and no lit-up houses and trees, I've been stuck in a constant state of summer-time bliss. I made my way to the CRWRC Christmas Bazarre at the school up the street, but even that was more like a flea-market, and less like a Christmas festivity. Other than the miniature christmas tree complete with miniature ornaments and lights that my mom packed away in the bottom of my suitcase, I would've completely skipped the frills of the season this year. I plan to visit with the children at Wings of Hope on Wednesday for their Noel pageant and play, but Christmas eve I'll be experiencing my first Haitian wedding, and the day of I will be at a concert of famous Haitian artist, Belo, with new friends. I can't wait to catch everyone up on the experiences without the traditional-frill, but in the meantime, I'm a little homesick for that family time, so I've been baking cookies and increasing in clothing size daily! I hope everyone is staying warm, enjoying the season of giving, and truly appreciating how special it is to be with those you love! I miss you much, love you anpil, and pray for you always!

Lara

No comments:

Post a Comment