Friday, July 29, 2011

A New Hope and a Huge Dream

It is Friday night. After spending 9 hours at the office, I returned home to follow up emails with members of my church mission committee, began the process of preparing letters and stuffing envelopes to friends, family, and anyone I think might have a heart for my plight(s).

Since my return from Haiti two months ago, much in my life has changed. There is never a dull day, and I thank God that He is keeping me driven. I made a huge decision on a leap of faith that I no longer wished to be a candidate for the full-time marketing manager position at my company, giving up opportunity for a wealthy living, exciting travel, and a respected career. My heart became light and happy upon this decision, but it is only the beginning of my trials as I begin the next step. I spent many nights reaching out to organizations, seeking positions that would allow me to progress in the field of humanitarianism. At one point I seriously considered returning to school for a second bachelor's degree....in nursing. Considering my weak stomach for blood and inability to watch televised surgical procedures, I knew I was reaching. Yet I was strong in the mindset that I wanted to find a skill that would be beneficial in Haiti, because it seemed clear that nobody needed an entry-level marketing professional in post-earthquake Haiti. I looked into Americorps programs, submitted applications to the UN Foundation, and nagged all those I was barely acquainted with how to go about starting my own non-profit foundation.


Proposed Food for the Poor Housing for Jacky & Manno's Families

I was able to maintain a facebook-friendship and communication with much of the staff at Wings of Hope including Jacky, Manno and Alcindor. It kept me connected, and I shared with them my frustration about the complications that my culture creates for itself. Then they shared with me their frustrations that they could not fully provide for their family. Jacky's children are sick because they are still living in tents in Port-Au-Prince. Manno's greatest fear is that he will not have enough money to send his two children to school, which costs roughly $200 each every year, and his wife cannot find a job to help support. At some point, God put it in my mind that there might be a way to build a house for each of their families. I knew I could not do this alone, so I reached out to Habitat for Humanity, Building Goodness Foundation, and finally I came to Food for the Poor. There response was positive, and they have agreed to match our support and ultimately supervise the building of proud, stable structures, but only if we match the support to reach the $12,800 total goal. 



I also had a crazy idea to organize an event that would provide some care for the children at Wings of Hope. With little to no budget, I met with another boy apart of the youth who attended our mission trip, and we planned to hold a carwash in the area. I figured, if cheerleaders and boyscouts can do it, not too hard, right? Wrong. I now know the meaning of "hittin the streets", and that's just to secure a location. Then we had to put a $60 down payment to use the Sunoco gas station, and now I'm not even sure who's going to do the actual "washing" since all those originally enthusiastic about helping now have other plans. It will all work out I'm sure, but I've grown into a leader, planner, organizer, graphic designer of brochures and letter-writer overnight. 

Now I've saved my biggest "cause" and life-changing phenomenon for last. In my search for work opportunities, I came to find Partners Worldwide in an online search. An organization that operates in over 20 developing countries around the Globe, there vision is for "business as a ministry for a world without poverty". Their mission is to "encourage, equip and connect business and professonal people in global partnerships that grow enterprises and create sustainable jobs, transforming the lives of all involved."  They had one available position listed: international program management internship based in Port-Au-Prince for a period of 12 months. There have been times in job searching where I thought, "wow, that would be a good match!" This however, felt like God had heard me ask, and said, "Ok here you go." The one downside was that I had missed the cutoff date by 2 weeks. Well, can't hurt to try, right? The following day I received a call, and followed up the next day with a 4-way conference call between myself, their local coordinators, and the partnership manager in Haiti, calling in on Skype. It was, to date, my hardest interview ever. The questions were tough and deep, and I truly had to search within to find the words to show my strengths, and even my weaknesses. I received my offer letter 2 days later.


Long story short... I am now about to embark on a year long journey, improving and implementing the 100,000 Jobs initiative- creating 100,000 jobs in Haiti by the year 2020. I will utilize my skills in marketing, and connect with people native to numerous areas in Haiti while living with a local family, and I couldn't be happier. Here's the catch, I have to raise the entirety of $17,250 by pleas to family, friends, churches, businesses, anybody with a heart. At times when I have wanted nothing more than to remain anonymous, escape from my past, and stay private in my affairs, my drive to make this dream a reality is pushing me to reach out to anyone and everyone, and check my pride at the door. 

Many of you may have been forwarded to this blog based on letters you received. Thank you for reading through to the end. I know from experience how frustrating it can be when people are always asking you for money to help their cause, when you just spent the last hour sitting in traffic, staring at the "empty gas" light on your dash, wondering if today will be the day that you have to push your car home in 100 degree heat because you can't afford a drop of gas. Or waking up at 7 am for three days straight to see if your paycheck was deposited yet, only to see that
 -$248 staring back at you because you underestimated the banks ability to clear checks you wrote for insurance, car payments and student loans all at the same time. Life is hard. Making the decision to give up dreams of financial success and take on dreams of "global human success" sometimes feels impossible. But nobody can do it on their own. Pride a tough attitude won't get you through life. And nobody ever went into poverty thinking, "if I only hadn't donated that $20 to charity". If I am wrong, I apologize- and let me know, I will give you $20...do you take personal checks?  

Please keep checking in, and I promise to stay more faithful in my updates, rather than unloading 2 months of crazy happenings, for thats where I am about to embark...insanely inhabiting a developing nation with the hope that just maybe I will do a little good, but most definitely I will do my best.

To partner with me in support of my next 12 monthes building connections in Haiti, please go to donate.partnersworldwide.org/. Select a Type of donation- scroll to "People".  Once selected, scroll down the "Choose a Program" tab on the right to "Lara Baldauf (Haiti)" You may then choose a one-time donation, or to make life easier and allow for a greater assistance, pledge a smaller monthly amount. All donations, prayers and encouragement means more than you know, and I am grateful for your role in my development. 

No comments:

Post a Comment