Friday, June 3, 2011

Rainy season and Wednesday

This post will start with me telling you how excited I am that I just took a shower outside in the rain! No joke. Shampooed, conditioned, shaved... and it was freezing. I'm feeling extremely rejuvenated!

Since I'm beginning with the last event of my day, I'll go ahead and continue the backwards-trend of this post. After our evening devotions, I came down to see Mano, the assistant director, fallen asleep with the bi-lingual english-creole book of poetry I had brought over his chest. It was one of many sights to tug at my heart strings this week. He has the kindest smile, a loving demeanor, very handsome features, and only one leg. He lost the other while riding in back of a truck that was rear-ended. Quite a common occurrence due to the crazzzy driving here. So Mano usually hops around on one foot unless he feels the need for his prosthetic, but I keep attempting to trick him and his strong pride into letting me help him with those mundane tasks that 2-legged people usually take for granted.

During dinner, I realized that Peterson, an autistic boy who keeps to himself with a helmet and paces on the porch where we eat, was still outside, standing in the rain. I approached him, asked (in creole!) if he was ready to go up to bed. He simply nodded, and we made our way back to the children's compound. I wasn't aware he needed as much direction as he did, but I literally had to guide him up the ramp-stairs, to his bed, remove his helmet, his shoes, tuck him under the blanket, and kiss him on the forehead to go to sleep. Doing this, I didn't realize how many of the boys were watching, and in turn expected the same attention. So I made my round, tucking in 39 children of various ages and abilities, kissing each one of the forehead, and feeling the tears trickle down as I realized that my heart has exploded with intense motherly love for such a huuuuge family of children. Even Junior came out of his world just slightly enough to attempt to kiss my cheek.

I sat with Cendo for awhile, watching the rain. He continued to confess his love, saying he chooses me. I explained that I did not want to break his heart, and I was leaving Saturday. He says he respects me. He sees how I am with others, and God is very happy with me. Love as big as the Sun has been radiating from everyone, including myself in this country. It may be the richest country in the world, with the greatest lack of monetary wealth. That cannot be a coincidence.

During afternoon chill-out time, I sat with a group of 12, listening to my boom-boom music box, and the sound of the rain. Each child was desperately seeking to have a physcial touch connection to at least some part of my body....but I'm not very big so I felt a bit stretched out.

The morning began with a small group of us going into the town of Petionville to pick up necesseties from market. I value the experience, as I was riding up front with the director, Jacky, who is a total blast. He loves my boom-boom music box also, so we attached it to his ipod, and sang Rihanna or Wyclef at the top of our lungs the whole way down the mountain. He speaks great english, so he was able to answer all my questions about the children and the orphanage. He is coming to speak to our group during devotions tomorrow night about his life and hopes for the orphanage, so I can't wait to share about this amazing person.

No comments:

Post a Comment