Monday, May 30, 2011

The beginning...

Ayiti. I'm convinced there is no place on earth like this, and everyone here knows it holds a special secret as well.

 The early flight in yesterday was a debaucle in it's own. Upon boarding, I discovered my seat was double-booked, so to solve their mistake, American Airlines upgraded our on-flight in-uniform marine to a first class seat. Semper Fi, I was proud. Then I was about seated next to a priest...always a good sign, in my opinion. The delay in take off from DC meant our layover in Miami was shortened... and I had the opportunity to experience that "Home Alone" running through the airport scene with 15 other people, jumping on board to Port-au-Prince with no time to spare.

 The doors opened, and in rushed that indescribably sweet familiar smell, and sticky tropical heat. We  were met at the airport by a one-arm man named Jackson. True to Haitian strength, he carried bags using the remainder of what once was, and flagged down a "tap-tap" (aka. colorful cargo truck), where we packed in like sticky mules and headed on our way.

First stop was the market. Even though this is not my first trip here, I'm always open to surprise. The air-conditioned, Giant Superstore, stocked with 2 levels worth of brand-name snacks and delicassens such as Dr. Pepper was a miracle.

On to the house... up through the hills, into the heart of Petionville, and past into Fermethe, we finally pulled up to our gated compound. Out poured many smiling, happy, friendly, yet some shy Haitians boys, eager to carry our things, and show us their willingness to be helpful.

We are staying in a house directly next to the children we are working with. There are two american women currently living in the Guest house full-time, and I am amazed to hear their stories, in both english and creole. The living conditions are...adequate. There is no running water, so I've gotten used to scrubbing with a towel, pouring cold water down my body in the morning as an exhiliarating wake-up, and I've opted for sleeping on the mattress in a seperate room in order to avoid the the moskitos that seem to flock to the ladies room.

The food is... AMAZING, the people are some of the most beautiful in the world, and believe it or not, there's a lovely mountain breeze that keeps us cool. I fall asleep to the sound of moaning, lovely children, and wake up to the call of a rooster, and the morning rain dripping into the buckets we will use to wash ourselves.

I have already developed very close relationships with many of the children...I will save that for demen si dye vle! (tomorrow, god willing)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous30.5.11

    Glad to hear you made it safe! Your blog looks great, keep up the posts!

    ReplyDelete